personal injury learning center
Getting Medical Care After A Wreck
prev          next
THE FINE PRINT: The information provided on this website is opinion and general legal information about the laws in North Carolina. It is not intended to provide legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

It should go without saying that you should get the medical treatment that you need. However, I get calls all the time asking me whether I think someone should go to the doctor. My advice is always this: I am not a doctor and can’t give you medical advice. You should treat this like any other injury. If you would normally go to the doctor for something like this, then you should go to the doctor. There is no difference, medically, between being hurt in a wreck and being hurt some other way.

Another thing that people often tell me is that they went to a chiropractor because the insurance adjuster told them to. First, the insurance adjuster is not a doctor and shouldn’t be giving you medical advice. Second, it is not unusual for an insurance adjuster to tell someone to go to a chiropractor and then later say that the claim is worth less because the person went to a chiropractor instead of a doctor, and got chiropractic treatment rather than physical therapy.

So, if you would normally go to the doctor for the type of injury you have from a wreck, do that. If you would normally go to a chiropractor or some other type of health care provider, do that. Again, I am not a doctor and cannot give you medical advice. You must use common sense to decide whether to get treatment and who to see, but do not take your health care advice from an insurance adjuster.

I also get a lot of calls from people who do not have health insurance because they cannot afford it. When they get in a wreck, all of their healthcare expense are going to come right out of their pocket. Again, the best advice I can give is to get the health care you need for the type of injury you have, regardless of how you got that injury. Very often, doctors will set up long term payment plans so that you can get the care you need.

Finally, I get calls from people who tell me that the insurance adjuster has told them that the at-fault driver’s insurance company has determined they should be better by now, and that that insurance company will not pay for any more treatment.

This is hogwash.

You know whether or not you are better. If you are still having wreck-related health problems, you should continue with whatever treatment plan you have set up with your doctor. While the adjuster can stop paying for treatment, the adjuster is not a doctor and cannot give medical advice. Again, follow the advice of your doctor, not the insurance adjuster. For more information on how to pay for your wreck related health care, see the next video, which is on Insurance.

The bottom line for folks who have been in a motor vehicle accident in North Carolina is: get the health care you need, nothing more and nothing less. Just because you were injured in a wreck does not mean that you should approach your health care any differently than you normally would. And always, always take your medical advice from a healthcare professional, not an insurance adjuster.

Joe Adams is a personal injury attorney based in Asheville, North Carolina, who takes personal injury and wrongful death cases throughout the state of North Carolina. He has been fighting insurance companies and big corporations for more than 25 years.

Contact Joe Adams about your personal injury claim:

For the fastest response call 828-251-1821 between 8 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.

Copyright © Joe G. Adams 2015. All Rights Reserved.
Joe Adams Law, 107 Merrimon Avenue, Ste B, Asheville, North Carolina 28801